University of Iowa Children’s Hospital has been dedicated to meeting the health care needs of children and families since 1919. As Iowa’s only comprehensive children’s hospital, we provide care for children from birth to young adulthood. Services range from promoting wellness to the care of general childhood illness, surgery, traumatic injuries, life-threatening and chronic illnesses, and developmental disabilities.
As part of an academic medical center, UI Children’s Hospital also performs groundbreaking research to help solve the mysteries of childhood diseases, in addition to training the next generation of health care professionals.
- More than 40 pediatric specialties
- More than 170 pediatric physicians and surgeons
- More than 500 specially trained pediatric nurses
- Last year, UI Children’s Hospital cared for 67,239 patients from every county in Iowa, nearly every state in the United States, and several other countries.
Patient and Family Centered Care
UI Children's Hospital is a leader in family-centered care, which includes the family as members of the multi-disciplinary care delivery team. Read more about our Patient and Family Centered Care.
Quality and Safety
We measure the quality of your care by how well we meet your expectations and the highest national standards of safety and effectiveness. Read more about our Quality and Safety.
Honors and Awards
University of Iowa Children's Hospital is one of the most respected children's hospitals in the world. It is highly ranked nationally by many entities. It attracts outstanding health professionals who are engaged in the missions of healing, research, and teaching. Read more about our Honors and Awards.
- Raphael Hirsch, MD, Physician-in-Chief, UI Children's Hospital, Chair and Department Executive Officer, Department of Pediatrics
- Jody Kurtt, RN, MA, Director, Nursing and Patient Care Services, University of Iowa Children's Hospital
- Joel Shilyansky, MD, Surgeon-in-Chief, Professor and Director, Division of Pediatric Surgery, Department of Surgery
- Scott Turner, Executive Director, University of Iowa Children's Hospital
Be Part of Our Work
- Family Advisory Council
- The Family Advisory Council, made up of parents whose children receive care at UI Children's Hospital, seeks to enhance the delivery of health care at UI Children's Hospital.
- Family as Faculty Program
- This unique program allows individuals to share their stories to aid in the teaching of patient-and-family-centered care at UI Children's Hospital.
- Youth Advisory Council
- Current or former UI Children's Hospital patients work to enhance the quality of care for children and families.
- Ways to Give
- The ability to offer the best possible care for our pediatric patients and their families in a welcoming environment is due, in part, to our generous supporters. With your help, we can do even more to help children and their families.
- Graduate Medical Education
- Residency and fellowship training is available in general pediatrics and in wide range of pediatric specialties.
- Nursing Opportunities
- Experienced RNs and new graduates find a wealth of employment opportunities in both hospital-care and clinic-care settings at UI Children's Hospital.