You may have been told that your child has a problem with a kidney, or that he or she needs additional care from a specialist in children’s kidney disorders.
A Pediatric nephrologist is a doctor who specializes in kidney disorders in babies, children and adolescents. Unlike adults, children are still growing, so it’s important to see someone with special training and expertise in pediatric kidney and urinary problems. University of Iowa Children’s Hospital is home to the most comprehensive kidney treatment program in the state, including the only Pediatric Dialysis Center, which opened in September, 2010.
Our service offers evaluation and management of kidney disorders, including:
- Abnormalities of the bladder and kidneys
- Prenatal kidney counseling
- Genetic disease
- High blood pressure
- Kidney stones
- Glomerulonephritis (inflammation), including lupus
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Blood or protein in the urine
- Bladder or kidney infections
- Rare kidney diseases (atypical HUS and Dense Deposit Disease)
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Chronic Kidney Disease
Our services include:
- Kidney dialysis
- Hemodialysis: The process of circulating blood through an artificial kidney to remove extra fluid and filter waster products.
- Peritoneal dialysis: A form of dialysis in which a special fluid is passed in and out of the abdomen to remove extra fluid and filter waste products.
- Kidney transplant
- Kidney biopsy
- Prenatal consultation for kidney or bladder abnormalities
- Electrolyte (salts)/fluid management
UI Children’s Hospital offers both inpatient and outpatient pediatric dialysis services, including center or home hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis. The Pediatric Dialysis Center is designed to meet the needs of children of all ages.
Comfort4Kidneys Support Group
Our UI Children's Hospital kidney support group provides a supportive environment and helps patients and their families adjust to living with chronic kidney disease, kidney failure, or a kidney transplant. This group meets twice a year.
A special teen only session will be held Wednesday, April 2, 2014 from 5:30-8 p.m. Learn more about the 3rd Bi-Annual C4K Support Group event.