Transfer of Infant to Referring Hospital from University Of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics (back-transport)
Edward F. Bell, MD
Peer Review Status: Internally Peer Reviewed
- The following procedures must be completed (when applicable) before the physician schedules a transfer back to referring hospital.
- ROP check
- Hearing screening
- Newborn metabolic screen
- Subspecialty consultations
- Special tests (i.e., chromosomes)
- The physician will contact the social worker (beeper 3885) to verify the availability of funds to pay for transfer.
- The physician must obtain from the parent(s) permission for transfer (written or by a monitored phone call).
- The physician will contact the infant's local doctor to arrange the transfer.
- A typed discharge summary MUST be signed by the resident and staff physician and on the baby's chart by 0800 on the day of the transfer.
- The discharge card should be signed by the discharging nurse and return appointments scheduled.
- To schedule a transfer the PL2 or PL3 resident should call Nancy Krutzfield, Neonatal Transport Coordinator, on pager 4645, or her backup on pager 3210 .
- The transfer must be arranged no later than 1200 the day before the desired transport date. Monday transfers should be arranged by 1200 the previous Friday.
- Transfers will normally leave at 8:30 AM Monday through Friday.
- The parent(s) and the infant's physician will be called to inform them of the transfer schedule.
- The transfer will be cancelled if any of the above procedures has not been completed before the scheduled transfer.