FAC members are parents and other adult family members whose children receive or have previously received care at UI Children's Hospital. In addition, hospital staff representatives from Administration, Children's and Women's Services (Nursing), Child Life, the Department of Pediatrics, and others actively participate. Since 1998, the Family Advisory Council has made a difference in the lives of children and families through their ongoing advocacy for patient and family-centered pediatric health care.
The Family Advisory Council seeks to enhance the delivery of health care at University of Iowa Children's Hospital by providing a mechanism for families to work in partnership with hospital staff in developing and refining policies, practices, specialized services and facilities.
- Serve as communication channel between families and hospital staff
- Assist in evaluating and providing input on the delivery of services for children and families
- Review issues referred to the Council and provide recommendations
- Participate in work groups of special interest to enhance care and services at University of Iowa Children's Hospital
- Provide a link between the hospital and the community at large
- Participate in education of health care professionals and other hospital personnel by offering a family's perspective