We have some restrictions in place to protect the safety, health, and privacy of our patients and their families. We are not able to accept items that do not meet these guidelines. Please make sure your donation counts!
Due to privacy regulations and infection control policies, a UI Health Care Guest Services staff member will accept donations on behalf of the hospital. We will make sure that items go where they are needed most.
- All items must be new.
- All items must come from smoke-free, dust-free, and pet-free environments.
- All fabric items must be made from new materials and wrapped in plastic for delivery.
- All pins – safety pins and straight pins – must be removed from all donations.
- Donations should not be gift-wrapped.
- We cannot accept food items past their labeled expiration dates.
Please complete a donation form, and bring a copy along with your donation.
We accept donations at the UI Hospitals and Clinics Main Entrance, near Concierge Services, on Tuesdays from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. and on Thursdays from 9 to 11 a.m.
Unacceptable items - For health and security reasons, we cannot accept:
The following items are very popular with our patients and their families at all times.
- Gift cards (especially from Target, Walmart, restaurant chains, UI Hospitals and Clinics Food and Nutrition Services, Volunteer Services, Java House, IMU Book Store, iTunes, and local hotels)
- Iowa Hawkeye gifts and apparel, all sizes
- Toiletry items (travel-size shampoo, toothbrush, toothpaste, deoderant, shaving cream, lip balm, mouthwash, etc.)
- Individually wrapped non-perishable snacks that have not exceeded the expiration date on the label
- CD's, DVD's and games rated G, PG, and PG-13
- New Clothing (Some patients' clothing is damaged due to their illness and injury.)
- Adult-size sweatshirts, and elastic-waist sweat pants of all sizes
- Sweatpants for children ages 3-10
- Underwear and socks for adults and children of all sizes
- Halo SleepSacks from the UI Children's Hospital Safety Store
- Craft Supplies:
- Crayons and coloring books
- Washable markers
- Individual craft sets for various ages and genders
- Crayola Color Wonder sets
- Discovery Kids craft kits
- Model cars for varying abilities
- Lego sets
- Matchbox cars
- Toddler interactive toys
- Fisher Price Little People toy
- Items with popular characters (Disney, Frozen, Thomas the Train, Star Wars, Doc McStuffins, etc.
- Barbies and clothe
- American Girl dolls, especially bald one
- Infant rattles and toy
- Board games and card game
- 3-D puzzle
- Baby dolls of all ethnicitie
- Action figure
- Ponies and horses, dinosaur
- No-spill bubble tumbler
- Gift bags and tissue for wrapping presents (birthday, end of treatment, etc.)