Diabetes, Growth, and Hormones
Our team provides consultations as well as long-term care for children with diabetes, endocrine disease, developmental endocrinology and weight management.
Our specialties include treating children with symptoms or conditions that include:
- Diabetes mellitus
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Disorders of physical growth (short stature, tall stature)
- Sexual maturation (early puberty, later puberty)
- Thyroid function (hypothyroidism, goiter)
- Pituitary function
- Adrenal function
- Calcium and phosphorus metabolism
- Weight management (obesity)
- Excessive hair in girls (hirsutism)
- Polycystic ovary syndrome
- Evaluation of excessive weight gain
- Diabetes Mellitus
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Congenital problems affecting genital development
- Problems related to high dose steroid therapy
Additional Services We Offer
- Body fat analysis
- Insulin pump education
- Continuous glucose monitoring in diabetes
- Diabetes management through education video DVD and manual
- Outreach clinics for diabetes and endocrine disorders
- 24 hour on-call services
- Diagnostic Services:
Hormone stimulation tests to assess secretion of growth hormone, cortisol, puberty hormones, glucose and insulin, and water balance.
- Consultative Services:
Consultative services are provided to primary care providers for abnormal congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) and congenital hypothyroidism (CH) results identified through the Iowa Neonatal Metabolic Screening Program (INMSP).
- Dibetic Education:
We offer one-on-one diabetic education classes for newly diagnosed families, diabetes refresher classes, and group pre-pump classes and insulin pump therapy. Hemoglobin A1C results are available in six minutes, which allows discussion at appointments.
- Clinical Trials