Care for Heart Conditions
Heart problems can affect young children, adolescents, or
the baby in the womb. If there are concerns about your child’s heart health,
your pediatrician may recommend a cardiologist, a specialist in the detection
and treatment of heart disease in children. The pediatric cardiologists at
University of Iowa Children’s Hospital are dedicated to providing
compassionate, state-of-the-art and convenient delivery of care to children and
The pediatric cardiology division offers complete clinical
services for the diagnosis and treatment of congenital and acquired heart
disease in babies, children and young adults.
Board-certified specialists offer the complete range of evaluation and management to the following disorders:
Congenital heart disease in children and adults
- Acquired heart disease (such as cardiomyopathies, Kawasaki disease, etc.)
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Adolescent cardiology
- Blood lipid disorders
Diagnostic services include:
- Comprehensive assessment of murmurs
- Evaluation and management of the cyanotic newborn
- Electrocardiograph (ECG) interpretation
- Arrhythmia evaluation and management
- Diagnostic cardiac catheterization
- Interventional catheterization
- Radiofrequency ablation of arrhythmias
- Pacemaker management
- Surgical management of congenital heart lesions
- Cardiac transplantation
- Evaluation and management of families with a history of premature coronary heart disease
UI Children’s Hospital also offers consultations and
follow-up appointments with a pediatric cardiologist in other Iowa communities.
Heart Friends Support Group
Families whose child has heart disease can meet
other families through the Heart Friends Support Group. In addition
to support, the group holds informative meetings and seeks to raise public
awareness of congenital heart conditions.
Interested parents and families whose children
are cared for at University of Iowa Children's Hospital are encouraged to join.
We believe parents and family members know their children
best. At UI Children’s Hospital you are an equal partner on the pediatric
health care team. We listen to you and your child so that we can work together
to improve your child’s health and well-being.